5 May, 2010 at 10:13 am (Chivalry, Ethics, Literary Gems)
Tags: Book review, Chivalry, Chivalry-Now, Dean Jacques, Ethics, Morality
The author of this book, D. Joseph Jacques, is a man who feels that civil society is not teaching it citizens how to live in a just manner. This book Is his attempt to help rectify this.
The book revolves around a code of ethics that the author calls ‘The Twelve Trusts‘. Although seemingly simple upon first glance the author invites us to explore their deeper meanings by devoting a chapter to each one.
This is a thought inspiring work which has the potential to change the reader’s life for the better. It encourages us to consider our daily actions and challenges us to make amends where fault is found.
It is a book that inspires the reader to live a more noble and just life and strengthens the reader so as not to fall pray to the mind numbing propaganda that is fed to us on a daily basis.
As the title suggests it is a text aimed at men, but I believe that the tenets it holds dear are equally valid for both sexes.
If the knights of Arthurian myth make your heart ache with longing, I wholeheartedly recommend that you buy this book and begin to bring your dreams alive.
12 April, 2010 at 8:13 pm (Atheism, Chivalry, Ethics)
Tags: Applied ethics, Chivalry, Chivalry-Now, Dean Jacques, Ethics, knighthood, Knights
Upon my honour,
- I will develop my life for the greater good.
- I will place character above riches, and concern for others above personal wealth.
- I will never boast, but cherish humility instead.
- I will speak the truth at all times, and forever keep my word.
- I will defend those who cannot defend themselves.
- I will honor and respect women, and refute sexism in all its guises.
- I will uphold justice by being fair to all.
- I will be faithful in love and loyal in friendship.
- I will abhor scandals and gossip-neither partake nor delight in them.
- I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help.
- I will forgive when asked, that my own mistakes will be forgiven.
- I will live my life with courtesy and honour from this day forward.
By adhering to these 12 Trusts, I swear to partake in the living Quest in everything I do.